Wednesday 29 February 2012

Explosion of Self - Testing makeup looks




This design is based on the personification of colour vibrancy and how it reflects the vibrancy of fantasy within a dream. In my previous airbrushed design for 'Ascent', I used a Temptu paint which is a cosmetic airbrush brand. The paints are pretty expensive and I find that they tend to clog the airbrush quite quickly. So I have been on the hunt for an alternative, and have come across some amazing water-based acrylic inks in my local art shop. The inks are Daler Rowney and come in lots of different colours and shades, and at £5.25, they are a fraction of the price of cosmetic colours for airbrushing. They are really versatile as they can also be used for refilling fountain pens, used with brushes and put through an airbrush. As it can be seen in the images, they also have a fantastic pigment and they didn't block the airbrush at all.
I used white oil paint to create a blank canvas within the hair which was a great base for the inks to adhere to.

I am pleased with the overall design, the colours blended together very well which made contouring the face a real pleasure. I'm still getting to grips with the airbrush and perfecting my technique however I do feel that I have started to release a new realm of my ability as a makeup artist and am so pleased that I decided to finally experiment with it. I like the colours used as they have an explosive quality to them yet still remain fairly soft and beautiful. I think this is an interesting juxtaposition. Of course, the final images will have much more of an impact as I will be using professional catwalk model, Gina Harrison, as well as styling. I have been making some pieces myself for the Climax shoot which is rare for me! I think I have really embraced the mantra of this chapter of 'letting go' and embracing the 'anything is possible' idea. Experimenting with the airbrush and becoming an amateur dress maker have both been really exciting to add to my skills as a makeup designer and I feel that it has helped in making design decisions within the chapter.

Upon reflection, there are some elements that I would change with this particular design. I am going to change the harsh blue line running down the side of the nose as I think it is a distraction to the soft and blended quality of the overall face. I think I might use a red or blue to softly contour the nose as appose to drawing a line. I have focused on the concept of lines in the past 2 chapters so the Climax is more about the release of such lines and limitations.
I am also not sure on the dark tear-like design down the left side of the face. I think it gives a extra dimension to the design however when discussing it with my tutors, they raised the question of whether I would like the message to look sad or whether I would prefer to be more of an elation. I think I would prefer the latter, however I am still going to use a darker defined left eye and create an overall stronger definition of colour. I feel that I need to release more of a sporadic approach to this design and not think too much when applying the product as this reflects on the overall message of the climatic stage of the dream.


No comments:

Post a Comment