Saturday 14 April 2012

Awakening - Awash Euphoria

Wash-out, white-wash, stark awakening, were just a few of the concept briefs for my final chapter of my book titled 'Awakening.' I had a vision a few years ago when I awoke from a dream where all I could see, think and feel for a split second was a complete wash of white, like a smoke screen across my eyes. I always remembered it to feel quite euphoric, that for a split second, my mind had been wiped clean of all unpleasant memory, feeling and emotion. I have wanted to incorporate a similar idea for a long time within my vision as a make-up designer and felt that this project was completely perfect to express it.


 I chose to shoot on a beach location as the theme of water has been a significant symbol throughout the concept. It is a metaphor of the mind, an uncontrolled space of transparent fluidity. Crashing waves of consciousness hits and for just a moment, we are a blank creation.

The final images are a perfect reflection on the blank purity of the mind as it awakes and have a beautiful tranquility about them. I designed the hair, make-up and dress which was quite a challenge however I had a clear vision in mind for the outcome and always welcome a challenge. The make-up design for this look focuses on minimalist detail focusing on the brow, a soft lilac eye and a pure and flawless base. I used soap to create a smoothed brow texture, allowing for the brows to be brushed upwards. I feel that it creates a sense of disturbance in such a perfect, white world. They are unruly and untamed, suggesting that all may not be as tranquil as it appears to be.

The material I used for the dress was great as it was semi-transparent, allowing for Sami (the model) to work with her hands beneath it. I really like the shots of this as seem to tell a story of gestured emotion. The material also worked very well when wet as it shifted from semi-transparent to almost invisible in the sand. I found it truly fascinating to watch the water wash over the material of the dress, and before my eyes it almost completely disappeared.




This image is one of my favourites from the series as I feel it captures both the serenity and stark reality of the conscious mind. Sami's eyes really connect with the viewer, as if she is asking a startled question about her existence and purpose within the world. I directed Lauren to purposely over expose the imagery to evoke this unknown sense of belonging, and to again highlight the first moment of consciousness after lucid and subconscious dreaming. 


No comments:

Post a Comment